Hello My Name Is...
Ms. Melissa McKeny
Welcome to My Classroom
My name is Melissa McKeny and I have been teaching for 17 years. I have a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology from West Virginia State University and a Masters of Arts in Teaching from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I have specialized in teaching Special Education: Adapted Curriculum and am licensed to teach Special Education up through high school in ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies. I am also licensed to teach English, Social Studies, and Science in the Regular Education Program through Middle School.
My educational philosophy drives all that happens within my classroom. I believe that all students have the capacity to learn and strive to help them reach their full potential. I partner with parents to help students achieve their personal goals and show students the utility of learning. The bottom line is I want my students to be happy, successful, productive people who have a desire to learn and I will do all I can to help them accomplish these objectives.
In our class we teach both the North Carolina Extended Content Standards and Regular Education Content Standards.
Things parents/guardians can do to help:
I believe that when parents and I partner together students greatly benefit and achieve greater progress. Here are some things you can do to help your child.
1. Check homework folders and planners each night for important information. Please sign them each night.
2. Weekly papers are sent home every Tuesday to be signed and returned.
3. Please read with your children 20 minutes per night.
4. Students will be given homework beginning the second week of school. Please ensure your child does his/her homework to help them practice learned skills.
5. Talk to your child about what he/she learned at school.
6. Be involved.
Scootpad Fact Monster
ABCya! Fun Brain
IXL.com Cool Math
PBS Kids Game Classroom
Brainscape Light Up Your Brain
Khan Academy Scholastic's The Stacks: Games
Facts for Me (online encyclopedia)
Feel free to contact me by email or by school phone:
(704) 932-4161 ext: 42910.